Monday, April 6, 2009

Module Three - All Tasks

I have done my html lessons. I had my fun. I would like to get right into it but have to be more practical. I used notepad for my text editor and it worked well.
My html using notepad as shown below: (please click on the image to view)



Well that took all morning. Not to create the html but to add the images to my blog.
I tried to copy my html codes to the blog but it did not like it. I did that several times then decided to take screen dump and save it as an image. The quality was not good. I tried the screenpilot as suggested by Cynthia. This also did not work. I ended up using the PrtScn key to capture the screen and used paint to crop it and saved it as a .jpg file. Although the resolution is not that good, if you click on the image to zoom in, it's not bad.
I also tried to initially upload to Gmail, Hotmail, Windows live with no success. I uploaded my images by not the files. The links from the webpage take you to my images in Windows live space and the other to Picasa online.
I have enjoyed the html coding and would have liked to ftp/upload the files somewhere, and only have the link in my blog.
I should also mention that I highlighted the part at the bottom of my text file. That was before I had issues adding the images into my blog. This part does not work. I have asked for some help from Rebelbassnz, who is the expert. I found out while chatting on Skye that Rebelbassnz has been studying html coding for the last 6 months. When he gets back to me I will add the solution to my blog.
I also enjoyed this exercise. Although it was frustrating at times, the satisfaction is that I managed to do this. So far I am blogging & I have created a webpage.
I would continue blogging I guess, where as I am not sure that I am up to creating websites.
I may attempt to do a little more but using perhaps something like Frontpage. I would prefer having a website when I start promoting and selling my art, but I would use both a blog and a website. I believe that a website is more professional but for an artist, using a blog where you could have a link to your website, could reach even a wider audience.
The link below gives a good explanation of difference between blogging and html:
http://www.waynejohn.com/post/2009/02/27/The-Differences-Between-HTML-and-Blogger-Template-Code.aspx

ftp
I tried to follow the instructions from the DB to transfer my files to my space on Oasis, but that did not work. I thought that I could use the space offered in Gmail sites, but for obvious reasons I could not do this either. Windows live has space but I could not use this either.
I use broadband and at this stage I don't know my account details or anything else about the space available, but I will try to find out.
I just found out that to ftp files to broadband, there is a monthly fee of $9.95 for a bronze account, $14.95 for a silver one and $19.95 for gold. So much for free web hosting.

Blogs
I will keep on blogging even after finishing this unit.
I can see the benefits. I still don't know everything there is to know about blogging but I have been able so far to update and manage my blog, successfully. I am amazed that I have achieved this, with so little knowledge.
I have since found out that many of my friends already use a weblog or some other type of blogging tools.
They use it to keep other parents informed of their kids soccer games, with photos of the team, their victories, videos of their games, and much more. The blog has the colours of the team and is very informative.
Blogs provide a communication space that teachers can utilise with students whenever there is a curriculum need to develop writing, share ideas and reflect on work being undertaken in the classroom.
http://
www.det.wa.edu.au/education/cmis/eval/curriculum/ict/weblogs/
I will use my blog to promote my paintings, as it is my business. I will be able to advertise to the outside world.
A Google blog search tells us how popular blogging is. If you can think of it, you would find a blog on it. The quality of the Web Blogs are superb. I never thought that it was that popular and my comments previously about a website to promote your business ... are not valid anymore. I am reluctant to admit, that I could not tell the difference between a blog and a website. I am more confused than ever. I will take more time to view some more blogs before I decide which would be my tool of choice to promote my business.
I have just wasted (perhaps not) reading some blogs, while searching for interesting blogs to add to my task, and there are many.

Web 2.0
There is no need to elaborate, what I understand about Web 2.o is summarised in the following:
Participation, decentralization,, social networking, facilitating communication, sharing information, trading, collaboration between people & the web, linking people, renaissance, mass publishing, podcast, Web Blogs, improved.
A good example is that before Web 2.0 we used to upload our photos to Kodak for them to print, but now we use Flickr for our photos, and they can be shared & printed by anyone.
YouTube - Web 2.0
http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGk3HZUNxJfxcAXqRLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydHRjbmRzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=1204kcpco/EXP=1239261785/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=nsa5ZTRJQ5w

Furl & html

furl is more versatile and flexible than the html list. The lists from furl can be sorted by date, can have filters on days, topics which are sorted in alphabetic order. You can setup a group furl with membership and much more. With an html list you cannot do any of the above. It is just a long list of links, the longer the messier it would get.

1 comment:

  1. Well done with your web page Renee! You (like me!) are certainly Learning Lots. I found the link you mentioned (difference between html and blogger) very helpful.

    I haven't tried uploading my page yet, I may try and do so this weekend. There is so much to learn isn't there?

    ReplyDelete